Friday, November 11, 2011

Someone noticed...

Yesterday I received a message on Facebook from a friend who I haven't seen in YEARS.  We weren't ever "close" and don't keep in touch but isn't that the magic of social networking...you get to be impacted and inspired by the lives of others.  In this case, the message was simple but contained a loaded question...

Her question:
" I wanted to ask you something...I know you work and yet you seem to get so much done and still have time for yourself. That has been my biggest struggle since becoming a mom especially a mom who works. Do you have any tips or advice you might be willing to share with me? Thanks so much, I hope you have a wonderful week!"

As I read this I couldn't help but think...Really?  You're asking ME????  And then I stopped and thought...Wow, she's asking ME.  What a compliment,  and what an affirmation...somebody thinks I'm doing a pretty good job with this busy life!  Instead of just replying...I decided to pray and seek God for how He would have me respond because I didn't want to just respond, my desire was to bless.

And so I wanted to share a bit of my response because it was what I feel a "God breathed" thing.  Even as I was typing my response I found myself reflecting on my personal journey of growth and revelation...so far (Lord knows I still have a LONG way to go).

My response:
"Wow...you have asked a loaded question and made me smile all at the same time. First off, I am able to do all that I do only by the grace of God, really...literally. Getting to this place of "balancing" the juggling act of my life has been a process...better yet a growing process. I used to live in a place of EXTREMELY overwhelmed all the time and it turned me into someone I didn't like very much (and others didn't enjoy either) and I realized that there was NO way I would be able to keep going the way that I was for any real length of time. So...I stepped back and looked and my life...I am a mom, wife, employee, daughter, friend, assistant cheerleading coach, barrel racer, involved in youth leadership, housekeeper, cook and so much more...how can I do all this and still enjoy life as well as be the type of person that I so desire to be. It was then that I totally started to feel like God was speaking and revealing some things to me: 1. Stress can be managed but you have to be deliberate and consistent...which sometimes mean saying NO. Whether it be no to someone, or something...it's a necessary response. 2. Get Healthy. I had to start watching what I ate (the crap I was eating before really messed with me and I had no idea how much until I stopped eating it), getting enough sleep (tough but doable), and EXERCISING (changed my energy level dramatically) 3. Choose the influences you allow. To say it that way doesn't make a whole lot of sense but I had to re-evaluate the things that I allowed to affect me. Mainly the people I let in my "world". 4. First things first. I had to learn to prioritize what was important for each day. For me, I start EVERY day @ 4:30 am, in prayer and reading the bible. Personally it just starts my day off right and helps me put things in perspective. 5. Plan and be prepared. Although no day ever goes completely as planned, I have to have an idea of how things are going to go. BUT, I also have to remain flexible because Lordy knows the bottom falls out sometimes. 6. Be prepared. I leave my house by 6:30am and usually don't get home most nights until 8 or 9pm. That means each night I plan and pack in advance for the next day. I lay out vitamins, prepare protein shakes, pack my workout bag, pack lunches, pack toddler "diaper" bag, "pre"-prepare breakfast (yes, I am anal retentive about my kids and hubby having a full breakfast every morning- so I crack eggs or lay out the toaster and bread or sit out supplies to make muffins, I even pre fill the kettle with water and put my tea bag and stevia in my cup for hot tea), iron and lay out my clothes...yea my nights are busy but really it doesn't take me that long. I can usually get all that done while Brad gives Adison her bath. Then I take everything I will need...workout bag, diaper bag, cheer bag, youth bag...whatever the day will demand and place it by the door ready to go for when I tear out of the house the next morning. 7. MAKE time for yourself, CHOOSE the time and place like it's a mandatory thing and DO it. At first it was only 5 minutes here or there but I have found that it gets easier to spare more as you learn to "time manage" (if there is really such a thing) and stick to your guns because you realize how important your "me" time is. My daily appointment with myself is... I working out during my lunch hour at work or else I would never get it done. Most of the time, ok ALL of the time there are other things I would rather be doing but I suck it up and do it anyway. While I workout I get to escape and worship, pray, read (on the elliptical) or listen to my favorite music. That is awesome me time. 8. Finally I'll close up by throwing in some of little slogans I have been inspired to live by: Think positive, speak positive and surround yourself with positive. Live life on purpose. Be fabulous. Enjoy every moment. Have fun. LAUGH. RELAX. Life is short...live it up.

I know I've probably rambled on and on but having a daughter that is 13 has made me realize that time slips away WAY to fast. It's like I blinked my eyes and she is almost grown and I want to enjoy EVERY single moment because my kids are only little once. You can't get these years back. And I don't want to look back with any regrets. As a mom, I have been given the AWESOME task of showing my girls how to live. So, I have decided to LIVE the way that I want them to live. I want them to plan ahead, be prepared, be happy and responsible...so I have to be those things so that they can see how.  I want them to be AMAZING moms so I have to try to BE an amazing mom. When I got that revelation it changed my life.

I don't know if anything I have said will help or if it will even make sense but I hope that it does. And thank you for asking for my input...it means more to me than you may know."


I realized in my response that I am passionate about not just doing life...but doing life WELL.  Am I perfect, absolutely not!  Do I fail, absolutely (daily as a matter of fact)!  But the point is that I'm trying.    I am no longer the person that I used to be and I thank God EVERY day for the work that he is doing in my life.  I like me better now...

To look back makes me giggle and cringe at the same time.  Oh the joy of growing and changing....of being teachable.  There are a lot of things I "used" to be but those things did not make me like myself when I looked in the mirror...those things I did not want my beautiful girls to become. 

It's interesting how such a simple question can make you reflect in such a deep way...yet another reason I am proud to be the daughter of such an amazing KING!! Thanks God...if I haven't told you today, YOU ARE THE BOMB! 

No comments:

Post a Comment