Saturday, September 24, 2011

First day of fall=FUN!

It's almost impossible to believe summer is over already!!  But with the beginning of a new season comes new resolve from this Mommy....less TV time, more adventure!  One of my family's "worst" habits (I say worst that way because this is simply my opinion) is that we spend a LOT of time with the TV on in our house, even when we aren't watching it, it's on and it's background noise.  For some odd reason, this has really started to bug me- so I decided to make some changes.  There's simply way to much to do, too many memories to be made...

Friday September 23, 2011= first day of fall. Luckily, I am off on Fridays so I had planned to make this day fabulous!  And then we wake up, and it's raining...BOO!  I knew Adison was going to wake up disappointed that we couldn't go out on our fall exploration walk since it was raining, but I had other things planned we could do inside and hoped that the rain would stop soon!  After sending Krystin off to school, I set out to get some housework done before little Miss Adison decided to wake up.  I didn't get much done before I heard the sound of her little footsteps running across the house, she peeps her head around the corner of my bathroom where I am cleaning and exclaims "Mommy, I slept good and I'm awake."  I stopped what I was doing and sat down in the floor to get me some cuddle love- as always I told her how much I missed her while she was sleeping.  (On a sidenote: she climbs in my lap, feels of my legs and tells me my legs are too "picky"-leave it to my 3 year old to tell me it's time to shave...LOL)  Since I didn't get much done before she woke up, I decided to allow her to watch a couple of educational cartoons on Disney Junior while I finished up.  She climbs up on the couch and luckily, one of her favorite shows was on...Jake and the Neverland Pirates (too cute). 


Once I got to a stopping place we got started on a fall craft to celebrate the first day of fall...a paper bag scarecrow!  She was so excited.  I gathered all the necessary materials and we got started.  First we did a fall picture matching worksheet and Adison did very well drawing her lines and matching the pictures that were the same.  Each time she would give me a high five and say "oh yea!"....too cute!  The paper bag scarecrow was a success and turned out great...although I had to do the cutting for her, Adison stuffed the bag, drew the "googly eyes", traced the shapes for me to cut and helped glue and tape everything in place.  She is very determined and knows just how she wants things.  Once we were done, it was time for lunch and a rest (we aren't allowed to call it naptime, Adison prefers the term "rest"). 




By the time Adison awoke from her nap, her Sissy was home from school, the rain had stopped and the sun had been out long enough to dry things up a bit.  So we set out on a first day of fall exploration walk in the woods.  These are the times it comes in handy to live on a farm with plenty of woods to explore...we didn't have to go anywhere!  Adi had her bucket in hand and Krystin had her bag for collecting fall treasures.  As we hiked through the woods, every discovery Adi made was a huge one and Krystin and I couldn't help but giggle at how she would gasp and WOW each unique leaf, acorn or pine cone as if it were the coolest thing she'd ever seen.  I love this age and the intensity of her emotions (although I prefer the happy emotions vs. others).  I was impressed with Krystin's willingness to participate in something that might have been "boring" to any other teenager...she pretty much makes a good time out of whatever she is doing and I respect that.  One of my favorite moments was when Adison pointed out an acorn in the dirt...I told her to pick it up and put it in her bucket...she stops, looks up at me with a very serious expression on her face and says "Are you SURE it's not poopy Mom?"  Oh my goodness...I almost laid down and rolled right there in the middle of the woods.  Only my child would make such a comparison between an acorn and poop....although it was a legitimate question considering we were hiking the horse trails where plenty of poop gifts had been left.  Classic moment!

Each of the girls collected plenty of treasures and we plan to make a fall leaf book out of their favorite leaves in the next few days.  Here are some of my favorite shots of the fun...








First day of fall was a memorable one...this one goes down as a success!

Dear angel girls,
I had so much fun with you today, watching you makes my heart smile. Spending time with you is my favorite thing!  Don't ever stop appreciating the little things...always remember to make the most fun out of every situation!  I love you both to bits and pieces!
Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment